Learning at St Georges
Our vision is to develop pupils’ spoken language, reading, writing and vocabulary as integral aspects of the teaching of every subject.
- Speaking and listening
- Phonics and spelling
- Drama and roleplay
English is both a subject in its own right and the medium for teaching. Our pupils should understand that the language provides access to the whole curriculum.
Fluency in the English language is an essential foundation for success in all subjects. Our new curriculum will be based on learning from high quality texts.
Phonics teaching is based on the ‘Jolly Phonics’ and ‘Letters and Sounds’ schemes of work. The main reading scheme used is ‘Oxford Reading Tree’, supplemented by a wide variety of other reading scheme books and by the extensive number of books that are loaned from our school Library.
- Book Week
- Author visit
- Guest speakers
- Film making
- World Book Day
- Drop Everything and Read (DEAR)
- Key Stage Two Poetry Competition
- Book Fair
- Book Club
- Newspaper Club
- School Library
- Library Visits from Redditch Library and Schools Service Van
- Links with Waterstones in Redditch
- Annual Theatre Visit
- No Pens Day
- Working with other year groups
- RSVP reading volunteers
- CBeebies Rhyme Rocket for Reception
- Additional support e.g. Jimbo Fun, Every Child a Talker, Every Child a Reader, Language Links
For more information please contact the school office on 01527 62263 or email: email@example.com